RE: TPE Handling Out-of-Band Consent (including ISSUE-152)

Ronan,

The working group appeared to agree to use the "L" for not listening based on this week's call ("!" will be used to signal something different).  How about stick with "C" but name it "Conditional" with a resource link to explain what that means in your context?

- Shane

From: Ronan Heffernan [mailto:ronansan@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2013 6:34 AM
To: Rigo Wenning
Cc: public-tracking@w3.org; David Singer; Justin Brookman
Subject: Re: TPE Handling Out-of-Band Consent (including ISSUE-152)

Rigo,

I agree that the risk would be on our side.  If we were to use data in non-permitted ways, for users for whom we do not have consent, that would make us a bad actor, risking whatever sanctions are applied to bad actors.  We would have to accept that risk, or abandon this method of research (perhaps a decision made on a project-by-project basis).  Fortunately, since we are routinely audited by the MRC and other bodies, the risk would be low since any unacceptable practices would not be likely to escape detection.

I do not agree that "C" is a good response, since it will not be accurate for the majority of web users.  We can introduce another response flag that specifically means that the determination of OOBC will be made later.  Since "L" is no longer being used for "not Listening", we could use "L" for "Later", signaling to the users that we will figure out later whether or not we have OOBC, and we will comply with the DNT spec accordingly and not use their data in any non-permitted ways.

--ronan