Re: RE: DNT:1 and "data append"

Hi all,

I see a lot of agreement here.

John says we need explicit limits on 1st parties.

Dan Auerbach and Chris Pedigo explain that a first party can collect
data for the service and their own profile, but can not share and not
merge data from the first and third party context they are in. This
would achieve the same. But it is not ultimately comprehensive.
Spec says:

The first party must not pass information about this transaction to non-
service provider third parties who could not collect the data themselves
under this standard.

Remains to find the exact mismatch and concerns:

1/ Industry wants to personalize, sell, deliver in a first party
context. If we only want to restrict first party tracking, we have to
define tracking as Roy suggests. All other collection would be
permitted, also in a third party context. hmmmmmm.... That would change
the content of DNT:1 for first and third parties. I would rather not go
there and leave as is.

2/ John is concerned that third party tracking hindrance is not
sufficient as the first party will just combine pre-existing data from
third parties with its own tracking. This is a valid concern. Because we
have only the rule that a first party can not share. We do not have the
rule that shareable data may not be used in a DNT:1 context by the first
party. This is a loophole. I think this is a valid concern that merits
discussion. Would this be common practice?

3/ John is concerned that first parties collect too much data. Valid
concern, but not object of this effort say all others. The Berlin-
discussion has shown that especially friendly first parties, even in
unregulated environments, could decide in case of DNT:1 to only do
permitted uses even though they are a first party. Question is then how
to signal that. For the moment, there is no means, thus a missed
opportunity IMHO.

 --Rigo