Re: TPE Handling Out-of-Band Consent (including ISSUE-152)

Walk me through how this works in practice.  TrackerCo's servers are configured to send back a "possible consent" flag to everyone, and then TrackerCo figures out later how to differentiate among users who have consented and those who have not.  How would the "control" link be able to give the user information on request if TrackerCo is incapable in real time of figuring it out for itself?

I also don't understand why the presence of client-side software makes this more challenging.  Presumably that would make it easier for you to either operate in-band, or otherwise configure browsers to send DNT:0 signals to your servers.  I understand that's a different flavor of out-of-band consent, but at least it's detectable.
  _____

From: Ronan Heffernan [mailto:ronansan@gmail.com]
To: David Singer [mailto:singer@apple.com]
Cc: public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org) [mailto:public-tracking@w3.org]
Sent: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 05:59:39 -0500
Subject: Re: TPE Handling Out-of-Band Consent (including ISSUE-152)

David,

   That is pretty much what I was proposing, though we   could certainly add some protective language to make it clear that the   data cannot be used (except under other fraud and technical-operation   permitted uses) until the determination of OOBC is made.  Regarding   "delete all the data we don't have consent for", some servers might   delete the data, others might be just de-identify it to the same extent   that one would have to perform for other non-consented data.

--ronan