Re: ACTION-371: text defining de-identified data

I also agree that we should just stick with de-identified, just as a
point of nomenclature. For one, unlike what you propose below, Rob, the
FTC text actually defines unlinkability in terms of de-identification,
so I think it would be very confusing if we did the opposite here.

That said, we did NOT agree at the face-to-face that unlinkability was a
"step beyond de-identified"; we are not at all weakening the standard
with our word choice. For unlinkability and de-identification both, we
do NOT propose a holy grail of provably perfect anonymization that can't
be achieved in practice (or even in theory, really!). However, for both
we require a significantly higher standard than, for example, keeping a
pseudonymous data set of browsing history. The first non-normative
example is intended to make this clear, but I can flesh it out if it's not.

Dan

--
Dan Auerbach
Staff Technologist