RE: we need discussion, Dr. Dix letter, paper

The paper recommends a visual signal or icon that shows when tracking is
occurring i.e. not just that the user has given consent but that "Web
Tracking identifiers" have been placed and the user is being tracked. The
use could then click on the icon to remind them of what they had agreed to
and give them the chance to revoke it if they want.

In line with European law it also says that no tracking should occur until
consent had been given, and that Web Tracking identifiers should not be
placed until it has.

This is more evidence that an independent (of DNT) consent signalling
mechanism is necessary. Irrespective of whether the DNT signal is enabled
there will be a requirement in much of the world for a way for a user to
register and be reminded of their consent for tracking. It would be very
easy for us to define that in a non-normative way, for the sake of
transparency, which could then be built on later.

Mike