Re: June change proposal: 5.2 Audience measurement Issue 25: ACTION 415

Susan:  Rigo makes very important points, and underscores why this is a very difficult issue to resolve given the accelerated timeframe for DNT.  I hope there is a response on the measurement data categories and their actual and proposed uses.  In addition, I wrote to Peter this morning, the following:

The data collected from DNT related measurement will be used to target people, in my opinion, even ultimately the original person who sent DNT:1 (whose data is analyzed so the campaign can be refined).  In an era of real-time and cross platform measurement (see links from Nielsen below), where user interactions--not just "viewing" is gathered and analyzed, the goal of such measurement is the real-time refinement of campaigns.  That impacts the user experience and personal integrity of those who want to be treated as privacy sensitive DNT:1in my view.

The measurement industry has failed to bring reliable independent experts to the table.  It's clear we need to have a more informed and larger focused discussion, including identifying the range of "products" derived from the research (today and including the significant cross-media and digital transformation of the measurement industry).

Yesterday, Nielsen announced an expansion of its service in the UK:  http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/press-room/2013/leading-brands-and-agencies-commence-uk-trials-to-measure-combin.html

You should also examine what they say here: http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/nielsen-solutions/nielsen-measurement/nielsen-online-measurement.html

With measurement built-into to user interaction for targeting a basic paradigm of contemporary digital experience, this issue needs much more work.

I propose that you find independent measurement experts with knowledge of the 3MS and other new approaches, and ask them to report to the working group on how this data could be actually used, despite the proposal made by Esomar.

Jeff

Jeffrey Chester
Center for Digital Democracy
1621 Connecticut Ave, NW, Suite 550