From: Thomas Roessler [mailto:tlr@w3.org]
Sent: 24 June 2013 21:55
To: <public-tracking@w3.org> (public-tracking@w3.org)
Subject: TPE status values 1 and 3

Reviewing the tracking status flags in the TPE spec, it strikes me that some
of the non-normative text is overly specific.  Proposed edits:

> 5.2.3 First Party (1)
>
> A tracking status value of 1 means that the origin server claims that the
designated resource is designed for use only within a first-party context
and conforms to the requirements on a first party. If the designated
resource is operated by an outsourced service provider, the service provider
claims that it conforms to the requirements on a third party acting as a
first party.

> For the site-wide tracking status and Tk header field, the tracking status
values 1 and 3 indicate how the designated resource is designed to conform,
not the nature of the request. Hence, if a user agent is making a request in
what appears to be a third-party context and the tracking status value
indicates that the designated resource is designed only for first-party
conformance, then either the context has been misunderstood (both are
actually the same party) or the resource has been referenced incorrectly.

> For the request-specific tracking status resource, an indication of first
or third party as the status value describes how the resource conformed to
that specific request, and thus indicates both the nature of the request (as
viewed by the origin server) and the applicable set of requirements to which
the origin server claims to conform.

I suggest to drop: "both the nature of the request (as viewed by the origin
server) and the".

That accommodates the case of a first party that voluntarily complies with
third party requirements.

> 5.2.4 Third Party (3)
>
> A tracking status value of 3 means that the origin server claims that the
designated resource is designed for use within a third-party context and
conforms to the requirements on a third party.

I suggest to drop: "is designed for use within a third-party context and"

Same use case.

Thomas Roessler, W3C <tlr@w3.org> (@roessler)