Re: Did the "June Draft" get a vote?

Hi Thomas,

On 06/20/2013 09:40 AM, Thomas Roessler wrote:
> Dan,
>
> the decision is recorded in Peter's summary toward the end of the minutes of yesterday's meeting:
> 	http://www.w3.org/2013/06/19-dnt-minutes.html
>
>> peterswire: near end of time. have chair proposal. Considered alternatives, which did not get majority support. so no alternative received more support than w3c proposal.
This last sentence is precisely the reason for my confusion, as it
implies that the chair's proposal was weighed against the others. It
seems that it wasn't, and that Aleecia's proposal -- which I do not
support, but which I believe won a majority (non-consensus) vote -- did
not get requisite support to dislodge the chair's proposal.

It sounds like what Peter intended to say was that without clear
*consensus* favoring an alternative, the chair's way would move forward
regardless of how that fared against other proposals.

I don't want to focus too much on process, as I care way more about
substance and lament how much time we've been taking on process (perhaps
since we've identified big areas of disagreement on substance that have
proven difficult to dislodge). That said, I think it's super important
for the chairs to distinguish "this is a decision the group has made"
from "this is a decision the chairs have made". I'm not trying to be
combative, and perhaps it's a bit nitpicky, but I think we'll all be
happier going forward if this is crystal clear.

As far as the substance of Peter's decision, I am a bit frustrated at
the need for sustained objections, and the fact that someone in the
group may be on a 3 week vacation right now and come back without an
ability to object. But overall I'm happy to go along with it and intend
to propose text changes by next week.