Re: Batch closing of TPE related issues

Hi Mike,

To clarify per your point below, in our current industry self-regulatory
program the user has the option to "harden" their opt-out cookies using a
browser plug-in that's made freely available to the user for this purpose
(and for no other purpose-- i.e. you can't use this plug-in to harden
other cookies-- only opt-out cookies).  So with the opt out cookies
hardened, they are not cleared with all the other cookies that are cleared
when a user opts to "clear cookies".  Your point below was an early
criticism of the industry self-regulatory program, one that we responded
to with a good solution that's used by thousands of people today.

I actually think our group's work around cookies is short sighted-- if
managed well, the cookie is an excellent technical tool to manage online
advertising, AND privacy.  I wish we'd concentrate our efforts on "if
managed well" instead of "let's kill them cookies, they are the agents of
evil doers".

Best,

Chris

Chris Mejia | Digital Supply Chain Solutions | Ad Technology Group |
Interactive Advertising Bureau - IAB