RE: ACTION-415 Provide text proposal regarding limitations on using a Potential Consent signal

Given the endless attempts we have seen in Europe to qualify the consent term (e.g. consent need not be “prior”, consent can be “implied” etc.), I think the chance that a “P” flag would be misused, i.e. used to avoid getting consent, is very high.

I see no need for it because implementing a DNT exception should be easy, given a clear indication from a user. If it is not we should make it so.

Mike

From: Rob van Eijk [mailto:rob@blaeu.com]
Sent: 15 June 2013 09:01
To: Nicholas Doty; Jonathan Mayer
Cc: Matthias Schunter (Intel Corporation); public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: Re: ACTION-415 Provide text proposal regarding limitations on using a Potential Consent signal

I remain very reserved on the P-flag as well. No new text on audience measurement has been presented to the group yet. In addition to that, and maybe even more important, the restriction to audience measurement must be normative in my view. There is only little negotiation room here, and creating a generic P-flag for possibly other uses than audience measurement is beyond that space for me.

Rob

Nicholas Doty <npdoty@w3.org> wrote:

Hi Jonathan,

Just a couple quick follow-ups to make sure we're on the same page on this:

1) I thought after a series of conversations we had established the use case. In particular, on the April 24th teleconference:

http://www.w3.org/2013/04/24-dnt-minutes#item04

... and email threads:

http://www.w3.org/mid/953B0F42-BF14-4BDA-817E-4A72E03B4223@cdt.org

http://www.w3.org/mid/51784697.1070804@eff.org

I think the use case is not the common situation (where out-of-band consent can be determined at the time of loading the tracking status resource), but would apply to those situations where consent is previously received (through an out-of-band contract, for example) but not determined until later.

2) Is your concern of abuse about extra retention/use of data? As Matthias has tried to outline below, the "P" flag would not give extra rights to collecting and analyzing data (it does not add a permitted use), it would just change the transparency requirements for those services that may have already obtained consent but do not currently know it.

Personally, I think we could go forward with the "P" flag / transparency option in our drafts, note that it is only for use in the exceptional case where a service regularly obtains consent in a way that cannot be evaluated at the time, and then review during implementation whether it is made use of or whether it is abused (in the blocking transparency sense only, of course). I think this might be a feature we would mark "at risk" to note that we would need to see interoperable implementations before continuing with it.

Thanks,

Nick