From: Matthias Schunter (Intel Corporation) [mailto:mts-std@schunter.org]
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:14 AM
To: Shane Wiley
Subject: Re: Batch closing of TPE related issues

Hi Shane,

thanks for your input!

It sounds like I would consider this scenario "caching" (which we should discuss).

[If you’d like to refer to this as “caching” I’m fine with that.]

I believe that there is no scenario where the server cannot talk to the UA:
[Disagree – we’ve already outlined that S2S (server-to-server) communications will not have the option to speak to the UA directly.]
we assume that all requests are accompanied by a DNT;1 or DNT;0 (controlled by the UGE). I.e., if a server receives DNT;1 and cannot talk to the UA, then you either need to accept the DNT;1, trigger the exception mechanism again, and (if this does not work), go for an explicit out of band exception in a transparent fashion "Your UA does not support DNT, is it OK to personalise this page". In this scenario there is no need for removing the UGE since the UA sent DNT;1 (which should indicate that there was no UGE in the first place).

[Disagree – this is a valid marketplace situation that needs to be addressed.  Attempting to FORCE compliance when a Server knows otherwise will drive down adoption significantly.  In this scenario (and we are speaking about a single, narrow use case) the Server in this scenario has already requested an exception and has been granted one.  The issue here is that the Server with the UGE is unable to speak to the UA directly to confirm the fact so it needs to rely on its best knowledge at that time.]
My main concern is that the UA should always trump the server, i.e., if a UGE was present at some time
then the server can cache this information (I would not call this an out of band exception).
If the UGE is now deleted (i.e., the same UA visited you with DNT;1 and you no longer find this UGE), then you need to update your cache.

[Agreed – at the very next interaction with the UA, the Server should update its UGE setting within its own cookie if the user has in fact removed it.]

I believe that "refreshing" the UGE based on the information you cached earlier raises privacy concerns since it voids the benefits of "transparency" (user knows what UGE have been granted) and "control" (user can control UGE).

[It’s the other way around – the Server “cache” (to use your term) would be updated on next interaction with the UA.  The UA always trumps when you can finally speak to it (outside of OOBC).]

What I believe is OK is to convert an UGE into an out-of-band exception by
  (a) Removing the UGE
  (b) Explicitly asking for out of band consent.

[Disagree – forcing OOBC to have a weaker persistence state than the DNT signal is not fair.  UGE is meant to be the mechanism that brings parity to this situation.]

btw: If you like, feel free to send parts of this conversation to the public mailing list.

[I’ll move the entire chain to the public list now.  Thank you Matthias.]

Regards,
matthias