Re: Batch closing of TPE related issues

I didn't understand ISSUE-192 to be about the capability for revocation of user-granted exceptions within the browser, but a question as to whether the API for storing user-granted exceptions in the user agent should include capabilities for cookie semantics, including timed expiration or secure-only. I agree with the resolution that it doesn't seem at this time like those capabilities are needed. To Rob's point, I don't think ISSUE-192 addresses the question of user control of revoking user-granted exceptions; we should go ahead and close it.

When the idea of user-granted exceptions as stored in the browser (rather than consent mediated by the browser) was first proposed, I did try to express concern about the confusing situation of simultaneously using stored user-granted exceptions and out-of-band consent. One key advantage of having user-granted exceptions stored by the user agent is that the user can inspect them in a single place and revoke granted permissions at a time of their choosing. If users revoke these exceptions but the consent is also stored through some out-of-band means and so the user continues to be told that they have consented to being tracked in a specific context, it would be surprising to the user and it might become difficult to opt-back-out.

I'm not sure any new normative text is needed here, but I think in order to make the user-granted exception system usable, we could provide non-normative guidance to implementers to not surprise users by simultaneously using in-band and out-of-band signals and second-guessing a change to DNT:1.

Thanks,
Nick