Re: ACTION-203 : Text for transitive model

Shane,

On Monday 03 June 2013 15:55:21 Shane Wiley wrote:
> We'll have to agree to disagree on this one particular caveat then
> (UGE trumps DNT:1 for Exchange model) as I believe an exception is a
> more specific signal (more granular - specific to a particular
> company) than the broader DNT signal (one time switch affecting
> everyone).

I don't know why it is so attractive to claim disagreement. In my
message I already recognized that you probably want to run this edge.
But it is an edge.

I have further doubts:
The UGE is stored in the browser, not in the backend. At the very moment
of the interaction, you can't know whether your web wide UGE is still
there. A user can have revoked your web wide exception by having erased
your UGE in the browser store. If you have a site wide UGE, you have
received a DNT:0 and the issue is moot. If you're just part of the
auction, you don't have real estate on the target site to test the UGE
because you're in the backend and you can't determine your UGE.

You're mainly telling me: "We store a UGE into the Browser AND our
backend and whatever the user does, we claim UGE because we have an UGE
in our backend."

The absence of possible interaction is precisely the problem the
transitory (or derived) permissions solve for the ad industry. I have
the feeling that by over - optimizing you risk to break the model.

> Since we cannot determine the "freshness" in this case,
> we should default to the more granular signal, not the broader
> one.

You can determine the freshness if you have contact with the UA. You
can't assume the user hasn't changed anything only because you haven't
seen it. This is not the model we have in section 6

> If a company goes out of its way to obtain a UGE and then
> cannot leverage this in Exchange situations, it will create
> disincentives to implement DNT more generally.

Wait, you haven't obtained an UGE here. You simply can't know as you're
part of the auction and not a part of the interaction. If you have your
javascript already on the first party content site, you can check and
leverage your UGE. In this case you have full permission, not a derived
transitory permission. We are only talking about the latter here. And it
doesn't affect the former.

> We can mark this up
> as an open issue on the two proposals for the group to decide upon.

I disagree that we disagree. I rather think we got lost in
translation... But if you insist and the outcome is viable you can
disagree with me and have me voted down... It is a detail, a pennon on a
truck with "transitory permissions" written on both sides. Can we ship
that truck first and then discuss the pennon?

 --Rigo