Re: ISSUE-151 Re: Change proposal: new general principle for permitted uses

Chris,

There is no need for a UA accreditation registry. There are 5 major
browsers:

1. I.E./Mobile
2. Chrome/Mobile
3. Firefox/Mobile
4. Safari/Mobile
5. Opera/Mobile

All support DNT:1 - all come with DNT disabled. All are shipping in the
marketplace right now. There's nothing to check - if you support DNT and
see a signal then it must be valid. If you don't believe it then you
should generate a request for a UGE. Currently that's only supported in
I.E. 11

The only other possible approach that people might be considering is
probably the 'Evidon/MobileScope to Power Data Control and Performance for
Mobile Apps' idea. One of the developers is Ashkan Soltani - FTC tech
advisor, Wall Street Journal consultant, and one of the original
architects of DNT.

I cannot see the Browser OEMs going with that idea as basically it's
nothing more than a VPN which runs all your data through the Evidon
servers (No way the Search engines are going to support that). Of course
if they add the DNT signal there then there also in violation of the spec.
The other problem with VPNs and mobile is the config. You need one for
wifi and then another for cellular and good luck getting that working on
Android or Windows Mobile. No consumer is going to configure all of that
'stuff'.

The reason that DNT is here to stay in it's current format is for the
following reasons:

1. It's simple - just check a box. Joe & Jane Consumer can do that
2. Every browser already supports it - in essence it's already the DEFACTO
standard
3. It's been distributed to over 1/2 a billion devices. By the end of next
year it will be close to 1.5 billion

In short it has momentum, the consumer understands it and it's simple. And
that's why it's already a standard - https://dnt-dashboard.mozilla.org &
and that's just one browser.

Peter