Re: Change proposal: new general principle for permitted uses

Chris:

An individual who expresses a preference not to be tracked should not be forced into a measurement program.   We should respect their request.  I spoke to leading experts who raised this.

Jeffrey Chester
Center for Digital Democracy
1621 Connecticut Ave, NW, Suite 550
Washington, DC 20009
www.democraticmedia.org
www.digitalads.org
202-986-2220

On Jul 26, 2013, at 5:53 PM, Chris Mejia wrote:

> Jeff, please help me understand the ethical dilemma here?  I'm not
> following...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris
>

> On 7/23/13 12:21 PM, "Jeffrey Chester" <jeff@democraticmedia.org> wrote:
>
>> forcing DNT:1 users to have to agree to further action regarding the use
>> of their data for measurement should raise ethical issues for the
>> industry.  It is an inappropriate request given DNT:1 user intent.
>>
>> sent by mobile device. excuse typos please
>>
>> On Jul 23, 2013, at 1:57 PM, Vinay Goel <vigoel@adobe.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi John,
>>>
>>> While I can't speak for the audience measurement industry, I think
>>> they've
>>> made it clear a few times already why they can't honor DNT:1 as its opt
>>> out.  Specifically, the audience measurement industry (nor any industry,
>>> for that matter), cannot rely on the validity of who set DNT:1 and