Re: extension of time on audience measurement suggested amendments

Dear Peter,
Dear Matthias,
Dear group members,

Peter wrote:
> I ask that you consider that in terms of what level of time I can
> devote to DNT in the coming days.

This Wednesday is going to be an important last conference call. We are
nearing our self imposed deadline. With audience measurement off the
agenda of the call this week, I would like to ask you to consider
dedicating the call to discuss the process of how to continue and which
W3C instruments we are going to use.

In April I wrote an open letter to the group
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2013Apr/0167.html).
I proposed three ways to move forward. 1. for a firm decision towards
collection limitation or 2. for a firm decision towards use limitation
with clear and specific added value to the existing self regulatory
solutions or 3. a firm decision towards for a NoGo (i.e. a premature or
controlled closure of the whole multi stakeholder exercise).

3 Months later, we have made a firm decision for collection limitation
through the call for objections procedure. However, with the self
imposed deadline in sight, that decision doesn't rule out the option for
a controlled shutdown of the group.

There are many issues that come to mind in a NoGO scenario. My point is,
we need to discuss these issues during the plenary conference call IMHO.
Dedicating the call to discussing our options for the TPE, the current
Editor's Working Draft, the June Draft as possible outcomes in case of a
both a NoGo scenario needs to be discussed now. For example getting TPE
to Last Call may well be worth it in a NoGo scenario. We need to discuss
the process of NoGo this week.

There are also many issues that come to mind in a deferred scenario. In
the event we defer, we have to hammer through a multitude of unresolved
issues. Perhaps a process of going through the 23 Change Proposals by
having a weekly call for objections may get us to a result. Perhaps this
may lead us to a compliance outcome where no stakeholder is happy with.
Trying to bridge the two positions may show once again that the two
positions are so far apart that in terms of game theory no optimal
solution is possible. My point is, we need to discuss the process of a
deferral this week.

In April I was optimistic. There was a window of opportunity for the
stakeholders of the advertising industry to do the right things to
convince the privacy advocates of the added value that DNT will bring to
their self regulatory solutions. That window is closing fast and I
sincerely hope we use the time left wisely.

Regards,
Rob