Couldn't get this submitted on Site...sending via email

Objections to Editors' Draft

The Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) is gratified to be part of a
consensus solution regarding what constitutes effective consumer privacy
protection, in a transparent, forthright manner, as a participant in the
Tracking Protection Working Group.  DAA believes that any next steps in
the process must incorporate technological specifications in "do not
track" signals in a manner that allows the Internet to remain innovative,
open and competitive to all, and facilitates programmatic support for
privacy where the consumer, himself or herself, is in control.

We thank the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) for the opportunity to
provide comment on the current draft - and we will direct our comments on
where we believe real consensus can be achieved, and where it cannot.  We
embrace W3C's mission to facilitate the functionality of the Internet -
and our bias is toward enabling responsible information use of the
Internet for marketing purposes in a manner that affords to consumers both
transparency and choice in how data regarding their own Internet
experiences are collected and used.

The reality is that DNT has become conflated with a misperception that the
Internet can function without data being shared. There is a reality, too,
that we believe all of the Group agrees upon which says that this is not
the case - that this is simply hype. That being the case, the more prudent
approach is not to focus on data collection, but rather on responsible,
transparent and enforceable data use. Transparency, user choice and use
limitations are hallmarks of good privacy design. The industry consensus
proposal appropriately focuses on these core elements. The Editors' Draft
does not.

DAA Representation Reflects a Broad Spectrum of Digital Display
Advertising Ecosystem
DAA represents a broad coalition of companies and organizations that serve
interest-based advertising (IBA) - also known as online behavioral
advertising, a thriving component of the Internet economy that enables
relevant advertising served to Internet users based, in part, on recent
page visits. IBA delivers 2X cpm to publishers (big and small) of Internet
content and services and consumers click on it 2X as much as more generic
forms of online ads - a true win-win. Such advertising helps to finance a
diverse Internet experience based on a device's online activity, and in a
largely de-identified manner. Consumers can opt out of such activity by
visiting DAA's Consumer Choice page - accessible in the United States
through www.aboutads.info and www.youradchoices.com, and replicated in
similar DAA-partner sites in 30 nations worldwide. Consumers are presented
this choice currently at a rate of 1 trillion times per month with
just-in-time notice.

Further, the DAA Principles which guide this program specify restrictions
on acceptable information use of online data, security, and, importantly,
independent enforcement. The Principles also apply to the mobile Web, and
will soon include guidance for mobile applications as well. Overall, the
program has been commended by the US White House, and achieved
acknowledged support from regulators in the US and the EU.

(One ministerial clarification.while Option A has come to be called the
DAA Proposal, it is important to note that this consensus approach was
developed and submitted by a an entire cross-section of responsible
industry entities who all seek to provide a pragmatic way forward that
achieves real privacy protections while continuing to support the
ad-funded Internet we've all come to love.)

The Editors' Draft Needs Further Refinement to Protect Internet Diversity
in Content, Programmatic Support for Self-Regulation Worldwide, and Real
Privacy Protection for Consumers

DAA directs its remarks to three specific areas of concern in the Editors'
Draft.

We understand that other organizations represented among DAA's leadership
- 4A's, American Advertising Federation, Association of National
Advertisers, Direct Marketing Association, Interactive Advertising Bureau,
Network Advertising Initiative - that are also TPWG participants may have
additional comments of their own, to which DAA also subscribes.

1.            The Editors' Draft appears to overreach by attempting to
eliminate a business model (interest-based ads) as a way to achieve a
privacy goal. The reality is that these two things are NOT mutually
exclusive.and, with the implementation of the DAA Principles, they
represent a quantum leap in privacy protection for consumers from the old
days of notice exclusively living in privacy policies. Furthermore, we
believe that proposals, such as browsing history aggregation scoring and
de-identification, demonstrate that ad customization can be achieved in a
privacy-friendly way, and that it may be possible to have a well-balanced
and tailored approach that advances privacy while preserving competition,
continuing to help ad-funded content and gaining a high rate of adoption.
Consumers are pragmatic toward relevant advertising - and understand the
value exchange that comes from having diverse content on the Internet that
is ad-funded.  A recent (April 2013) Zogby poll, commissioned by DAA,
shows that:
.             92 percent of Americans think free content like news,
weather and blogs is
important to the overall value of the Internet
.             75 percent prefer ad supported content to paying for ad-free
content
.             68 percent prefer to get at least some ads Internet directed
at their interests
.             75 percent prefer to make their decisions about relevant
advertisements - not rely on decisions of governments of browser makers
.             40 percent prefer to get all their ads directed to their
interests

Such expectations of consumers need to be reflected and respected in the
TPWG process. Notice, choice and default do-not-track settings and
mechanisms need to remain in consumers' hands, while enabling the Internet
to function with ad-supported content, with a bias toward the widest
diversity of content, the widest of diversity of sites and the widest
diversity of advertisers to enable such experiences for the consumer.

2.            A balanced and narrowly tailored approach that solves
specific privacy concerns while maintaining competition and a diverse
Internet economy is much more likely to gain widespread adoption, and
ultimately benefit consumers with a net privacy gain through better
hygiene, de-linking and de-identification of data. The Editors' Draft,
even though conceived after the May face to face meetings, did not include
this type of balanced provision. That is unfortunate and yet another
reason why the industry consensus proposal remains the best approach
moving forward. Furthermore, we already have a successful model in place
for enforcing data use compliance through the DAA. DAA would call on its
program participants to comply with a specification that met the twin
goals of advancing privacy and advancing the ad-funded internet. To date,
100-percent of enforcement actions by DAA, among them 19 by the Council of
Better Business Bureaus, have been resolved successfully. That is
effective enforcement with teeth.

3.            The Editors' Draft recommendation does not consider the
"tri-state approach" regarding data collection and permissible uses
reflected in the May 6-8, 2013, "consensus action summary."  This proposal
can provide heightened privacy protections while still allowing an
IBA-funded internet.  A study by Professor Catherine Tucker of MIT Sloan
School of Management, regarding the EU e-Privacy Directive, shows that ad
performance suffers when interest-based ads are disallowed: ad performance
drops off by 65 percent. Barring interest-based ads would institutionalize
such advertising underperformance while affording no real consumer privacy
protection interest.  Balance must be achieved between consumer privacy
and a thriving, diverse and free Internet - and the "tri-state approach"
enables this mutually-beneficial outcome.

Again, we thank W3C and TPWG for its efforts to balance all interests -
but to do so in a manner that protects overall Internet functionality,
productivity and diversity in a manner that supports consumer privacy
protection in its specifications while providing the ability for
legitimate, responsible and transparent business models that continue to
support ad-funded content.