RE: Initial Work Plan on Change Proposals, including for next Wednesday

Hi Shane,

I am operating under a broader definition of tracking. The change proposal is on the wiki for public record. As a result I think aggregated scoring should be included within the scope of tracking.

Leaving aside the challenge to become legally compliant in the EU, when performing interest based (re)targeted advertising, there is a window of opportunity now to include privacy by design in the way forward. If implemented with effective privacy by design choices, it may well be that the Yahoo! scoring algorithm passes the test in aggregating from Red to Green. As indicated during the call, data retention in the Yellow may be your golden key here.

But that would bring us into a discussion on a permitted use for aggregated scoring, similar to the discussion we are having on audience measurement. The discussion would have to hit elements like purpose limitation, proportionality, data retention and other crucial data protection principles.

The technical challenge is to convert data about an individual to data about an object. I am not sure however how to prevent data about an object being turned into data about a person again when the purpose is to serve interest based (re)targeted ads. As Paul Ohm indicated earlier today, the cookie is stored in the browser, and is send with every request connected to the cookie domain. As indicated in the Berlin Group paper, it is the user who buys the proverbial pair of red shoes. It is for that reason that in the discussion on audience measurement, the application of the measurement data to an individual has been flagged as not allowed.

I do recognize the sentiment for change that shows in your proposal. Based on the proposal that is up for call for objection this Friday the definition causes a big problem. I hope you (and industry) are willing to plunge into the deep here, instead of getting cold feet by narrowing the scope of what should be considered to be tracking.

mvg::Rob