Re: Proposed friendly amendments to industry draft

On Jul 9, 2013, at 18:18 , Shane Wiley <wileys@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> I disagree with this naming change as much of the data in the “red” zone may also be considered to be “pseudonymized”.  What is critical to this conversation are definitions associated with the terms being used.
>
> If the definition of IDENTIFICATION is: an act of identifying : the state of being identified -OR- b : evidence of identity (Marrian-Websters), then deidentification would be the opposite of this.  Or plainly – removing “evidence of identity”.  While there are many ways to remove evidence of identity, I’ll continue to argue the removal of operational “linkability” from identifiers meets this definition as well (as the “evidence” of the actual user/device identity has been removed).
>
> Red State:  Data is fully identifiable (Limited Permitted Uses only – retention rates should be short)
> Yellow State:  Data is de-identified but linkable (Permitted Uses only – singular utility is analytics)
> Green State:  Data is de-identified and de-linked (any use)
>
> When you further layer these concepts into the definition of TRACKING, basically the pairing of a unique ID with non-affiliated site URLs, you create the foundation for the presentation I distributed to the group 2 weeks ago.
>
> We’re disagreeing on the term “de-identification” I believe more because some are still attached to the notion the de-identified data in of itself is outside the scope of DNT.  This is incorrect in the new construct and only the combination of de-identification with de-linking reaches the bar of moving outside the scope of DNT.
>
> I hope this is clearer.  For those that don’t agree with this use of de-identification, could you please articulate what real-world use or loop hole you feel this creates?  If we’ve appropriately contained the collection and use of data in the standard, then I’m not seeing a way to game the system (which I believe you somehow see something here that I don’t).
>
> Thank you,
> Shane

I think that the point of my remark is that I am mostly concerned with data that is truly not associated with a person (their UA or device).  That's the only data that is out of scope in my mind.

My perception is that the rest of the world uses "de-identified" to mean this.  Maybe I am wrong.

I am fine with a best practices document saying that data that is NOT this strongly de-identifed should have its content reduced and its identifiability weakened as much as possible, which I think is your yellow state.

What I don't want is is to have a requirement in the document that data be de-identified to be out of scope, when we re-define de-identified to be merely your yellow state.

So, in summary:

term A, your yellow:  data that has been minimized and pseudonymized so its harder to re-identify
term B, your red: data that truly no longer can be connected to anyone or their UA or device

The spec must require B for data to be out of scope.

I think I would prefer A: pseudonymized, B: de-identified

I think you have A: de-identified, B: de-linked

David Singer