Re: Issue for discussion on Wed

Thanks for the clarification, Justin. I was thinking a browser or other UA
could be considered a third party if they engaged in tracking. Seems like
that may not be as clear for others.

> Or do you mean that the company that makes the user agent can't track if DNT
> is signed on?  That is, Google can't track what I do in Chrome unless I give
> them permission (e.g., "sign into Chrome")?

I mean that a User agent shouldn't be able to track (as defined by the WG)
without consent.  However, to build on your example above, merely signing
into a browser may not be enough to enable tracking. I don't want to revisit
a debate on consent standards as I believe that's been left to regulators in
local jurisdictions. In the U.S., it would seem like burying the
notification of tracking on page 17 of a long EULA would be unlikely to meet
the Sears definition of consent. But again ­ I leave that to the FTC to
determine.