Re: June Change Proposal: Definition of Tracking (ISSUE-5)

Just to let you know that the DPAs specifically ruled out
fingerprinting as an alternative for cookie based tracking in the Berlin
Group opinion on Web Tracking and Privacy.

Keeping a definition technology neutral is fine with me. Wishing
fingerprinting is off the radar for DPAs is not a preferred move. It
would be wise to include fingerprinting specifically in non-normative
text, if a definition has to be part of the standard.

I am proposing a new tracking defintion and non-normative text:

Tracking is any form of collection, retention, use and/or application
of data that are, or can be, associated with a specific user, user
agent, or device.

Non normative explanation: Tracking is not exclusively connected to
unique ID cookies. Tracking includes automated real time decisions,
intended to analyse or predict the personality or certain personal
aspects relating to a natural person, including the analysis and
prediction of the person’s health, economic situation, information on
political or philosophical beliefs , performance at work, leisure,
personal preferences or interests, details and patterns on behavior,
detailed location or movements. Tracking is defined in a technological
neutral way and includes e.g. cookie based tracking technology, active
and passive fingerprinting techniques.

Rob