Re: June Change Proposal: Definition of Tracking (ISSUE-5)

>>> well, the fingerprint is used as a key to some data storageā€¦
>> What if it isn't?  What if a website collects a fingerprint and then
>> discards it?  Surely that should still be prohibited.
>
> So, during the transaction, the server calculates a fingerprint
> that's plausibly unique to the user, and then when the transaction is
> complete, it discards the fingerprint.  It can't now have anything
> retained that's keyed to that fingerprint, and it can't know if the
> same user visits again (fingerprint match).  I don't see the point,
> but I don't see a problem.

Fingerprints do in may cases end up in data sets as matching
identifiers.

Even if a fingerprint is discarded, it can facilitate the linking of
new data to already collected data. Therefore, fingerprinting is
important to address when DNT:1.

DNT:1 must cover fingerprinting based tracking equal to cookie based
tracking.