Re: June change proposal: permitted uses

On 06/28/2013 11:36 AM, Nicholas Doty wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> I've tried to split out this proposal into what seem to be two key
> changes:
> (1) limitations on the retention and use of unique identifiers
> (2) retention limits, extensible with justification
>
> ISSUE-199 was already created and closely tracks the first; I've moved
> it to the June Compliance product. I've also created ISSUE-211 for the
> second: Should we specify retention periods (extended with
> transparency) for permitted uses?
>
> And I've added two change proposals to the wiki to capture these two
> changes. I'm hopeful that splitting them up in this way will help the
> group understand the parts of the proposal and let us combine
> proposals that address the same questions.
>
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/Privacy/TPWG/Change_Proposal_Unique_Identifiers
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/Privacy/TPWG/Change_Proposal_Retention_Permitted_Uses
>
> Your proposal used the same language on unique identifiers in several
> sections, and I've tried to just add that sentence and describe where
> it applies -- did you intend it for all permitted uses, or just all
> except for debugging?

Thanks for your continuous hard work, Nick. I apologize for the delay
responding -- was on vacation. If debugging is sufficiently limited in
scope and data retention is short, then I don't think there's a need for
that extra sentence on unique identifiers. While the vast majority of
debugging likely does not need to use unique identifiers, some forms of
debugging might, for example if a site is doing short-term debugging on
the process of setting ordinary cookies itself on a small subset of test
users. What I want to avoid is the continued use of unique id cookies in
general under the auspices of this or any permitted use. Therefore, if
the scope of the debugging exception is expanded in certain unacceptable
ways, I may suggest that that sentence be added for debugging as well.