RE: ISSUE-10 First party definition, ISSUE-60, ACTION-?

Hi John,

RFC's relating to cookies (where the talk of 1st and 3rd party entities
began in 1997) are RFC 2109 (1997), RFC 2965 (2000) and RFC 6265 (2011)
where it is made pretty clear that a first party is an entity that exists
within the requested URI (either directly or a sub-domain of the requested
URI) anything else is third party.

It is actually quite interesting that we have come full circle to the RFCs
because there was an incredibly aggressive debate at the time whether or not
to block 3rd party cookies completely because of the privacy concerns (back
in 1997) - predictions which have since come true.  The 2000 discussion was
more relaxed and agreed to allow third party cookies but to give users
controls to block them if my memory serves me correctly (which is why we
have 3rd party cookie options in web browsers to this day).  The 2011
discussions were equally concerned about the privacy issues with 3rd party
cookies but allowed leverage on how browsers handle them.

However when talking about first and third party, this was first discussed
in the 1997 RFC with the requested URI definition to my knowledge - I am
willing to read any earlier definitions if someone has one to hand?

Regards,

Alexander Hanff