Re: ISSUE-10 First party definition, ISSUE-60, ACTION-?

On 2/27/2013 12:37 PM, Alexander Hanff wrote:

> I don't see why you find this so difficult to understand Justin -- it
> doesn't matter a jot whether or not User A clicked on a Facebook Like
> button for an article on NYT -- clicking on a "Like" button is not the
> same as saying "OK Facebook, you can track that I have read this
> article and use that data to add to my behavioural profile for
> targeted ads" irrespective of whether or not the next site places
> Facebook back into the "3^rd party" bucket.
>
> It really isn't difficult to grasp -- where is it specifically that
> you don't understand the point?

I'm not sure where specifically I don't understand your point.

I think you're saying that if I click "like" for a particular article,
then FB should be able to add that fact to Timeline/Newsfeed but
shouldn't be able to add that fact to a behavioral profile.  If that's
the case, then you're right the standard doesn't prevent that.  FB is a
first-party in the communication of my liking the story to FB, so DNT
doesn't apply. However, this has been agreed to within the group for
over a year and is reflected in the other proposed definitions as well.
This is not my sudden decision to subvert the working group.  If you
think the working group is simply on the wrong track, that is your
opinion, but I would appreciate your not misrepresenting this as a
change in the group's opinion or a proposed substantive change in the text.