Re: ACTION-359: Add proposal for ISSUE-161 to allow an indicator of non-compliance within the tracking status value for testing and deployment

From: David Wainberg <david@networkadvertising.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 11:44:30 -0500
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
CC: "public-tracking@w3.org WG" <public-tracking@w3.org>
Hi Roy,

Following up from last week's discussion. What's the rationale for the
additional requirements? If the implementation is non-compliant,
incomplete, testing, whatever, then why not let that be the case without
additional requirements? Also, doesn't it create a circular problem with
trying to indicate non-compliance in a compliant way? Especially if the
non-compliance includes not providing those elements?

/An origin server that sends ! as a tracking status value must provide,
in the corresponding tracking status representation, a valid first-party
member; the origin server must also provide policy and control members
if such information is not directly obtainable by performing a retrieval
action on the first-party resource(s)./

Moreover, can we change the name to something like "non-standard" rather
than "non-compliant," since if they are providing this flag according to
the spec then they are in fact compliant with the spec.

And I propose the following description of the "!" value: /The origin
server is unable or unwilling to claim that the designated resource
conforms to [TRACKING-COMPLIANCE]. The server MAY provide additional
details through a link in //_policy_//./

-David