Re: My appointment to President's Review Group, and resignation as Co-Chair

It will be interesting to compare your plan and definitions to those of CA AB 370. It seems to me that if this bill is signed into law in the next week or so that the W3C will be playing catch up. You also might want to look at this:

The California Business and Professions Code
CHAPTER 22.  INTERNET PRIVACY REQUIREMENTS .................... 22575-22579

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=bpc&group=22001-23000&file=22575-22579

[snip]

(c) The term "operator" means any person or entity that owns a Web site located on the Internet or an online service that collects and maintains personally identifiable information from a consumer residing in California who uses or visits the Web site or online service if the Web site or online service is operated for commercial purposes. It does not include any third party that operates, hosts, or manages, but does not own, a Web site or online service on the owner's behalf or by processing information on behalf of the owner.

[/snip]

CA is a hair away from not only regulating Privacy via the DNT signal but also requiring all web sites to know WHERE the originating request is coming from. Fairly easy to do on the desktop but not nearly so easy to do on mobile due to carriers hiding the exact location of the user making the request.

Last Call looks like it should really be 'Last Call before Regulation'.

Peter
Peter J. Cranstone