Re: ACTION-390: alternative UA affordances for DNT choice

Thanks for the example, Ed. More below.
From:  "Edward W. Felten" <felten@CS.Princeton.EDU>
Date:  Wednesday, April 17, 2013 11:14 AM
To:  Alan Chapell <achapell@chapellassociates.com>
Cc:  "<public-tracking@w3.org>" <public-tracking@w3.org>
Subject:  Re: ACTION-390: alternative UA affordances for DNT choice

> Let me explain the music player scenario in more detail.
>
> I buy a small music player device from ElectroCorp.  One of its capabilities
> is that it can download and play podcasts.    Most podcasts are provided by
> third parties (radio stations, artists, record companies, tech companies,
> etc.) and are downloaded by the music player via HTTP.    When the music
> player device connects to the Internet (via my home WiFi) and downloads
> podcasts, it is acting as a User Agent.
>
> ElectroCorp offers a website, "Manage Your Music Player", that I can use to
> control which podcasts I am subscribed to, among other things.   But the music
> player itself doesn't offer any kind of general-purpose user interface.
>
> In this scenario, the user might want to limit the ability of third-party
> podcast providers to track me.  To that end, the user might want to have the
> music player send DNT:1 when it is downloading podcasts.   ElectroCorp might
> offer an interface on their web site that lets the user turn on DNT on his
> music player.   The ElectroCorp site could be absolutely clear about what
> would be happening, what DNT does, and so on.   It could meet any reasonable
> standard for clarity, communication, and consent.

 I don't see why having a website tied to the UA in the way you describe
would violate the disclosure guidelines. If you feel it does, perhaps you
and I can work on language to address this example. That said, most of the
music services that I know of provide a robust UI (e.g., iTunes, Spotify) so
this may be a fairly isolated example. And I don't believe that this
scenario justifies throwing out the disclosure guidelines entirely ‹ it
seems that a better approach is to modify the guidelines to ensure that our
mutual goal of ensuring informed consent is met.

Does anyone have an issue with Ed's scenario? I'm not sure I fully
understand Brooks' concern here ­ Brooks can you elaborate?