From: David Wainberg <david@appnexus.com<mailto:david@appnexus.com>>
Date: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:36 AM
To: Peter Swire <peter@peterswire.net<mailto:peter@peterswire.net>>
Cc: Ed Felten <felten@CS.Princeton.EDU<mailto:felten@CS.Princeton.EDU>>, "<public-tracking@w3.org<mailto:public-tracking@w3.org>>" <public-tracking@w3.org<mailto:public-tracking@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: ACTION-390: alternative UA affordances for DNT choice

First, let's be clear about DNT would apply. Let me know if I have this wrong. For a special purpose device, e.g. a net-enabled scale, data collection by the first party is implicit in the nature of the device, isn't it? And it's first party in any case. But, DNT would apply in two cases with these sorts of UA: 1) the UA is going to transfer 1st party data to a 3rd party, or 2) it is interacting with a 3rd party on the user's behalf.

Two comments regarding narrow vs broad scope. First, if there is no interface where the user can make a choice, how can the UA send DNT? Peter, are you saying that under a broader scope, these UAs could send DNT without offering the user a choice? Second, if UAs can send DNT without offering a choice, and then claim that's fine because they don't offer a UI, then we incentivize doing so. Not only is this a poor user experience, but it invites anti-competitive abuses of the DNT signal.