ACTION-373 Append: background memo on append and related topics

A full agenda for the Wednesday call will circulate later today.  For the compliance spec, the two main topics are: (1) Alan Chapell's language, posted last week, about user education and user experience; and (2) append.

For the latter, my thanks to Yianni and Nick for their work on the attached background memo, which initially was about "first party data in third party context" and now also includes our "append" discussion.  As with other background memos, it attempts to pull together the relevant previous discussions on the same and closely related subjects.  That way, members of the group can easily refresh their recollections about how these topics have been discussed previously.

John (with Jeff's concurrence) have given quite clear answers to my questions about the scope of coverage of their proposed append provision.  In Wednesday's discussion, we will discuss the various categories.  On quite a few, I think there may well be consensus (or close to consensus).  The list of categories thus can help us focus on the shorter list where there are important disagreements.

John and Jeff asked one question about categories 2.2.4 and 3.23 -- analytics.  Perhaps those who have been working on the audience measurement proposal could help out here.  Tentatively, here are my answers:

"2.2.4:  Use data to enhance 1st Party analytics, but don’t target back to an individual user."  I welcome thoughts here.  My idea was that audience measurement providers may provide to 1st parties information about the tendencies of a group.  For instance, suppose left-handed red-heads had higher-than-average interest in a certain product.  This category is when a 3d party tells the 1st party about the left-handed red-head category.
Note that the audience measurement proposal would allow collection (subject to its limits) from DNT:1 users for purposes of calibrating differences with other users.

"3.23:  Analytics or other scenarios?"  On further thought, I'm not sure I see any examples here.

Thanks,

Peter

Professor Peter P. Swire
C. William O'Neill Professor of Law