RE: de-identification text for Wednesday's call

Shane,

If you mean by "anonymous cookie", a cookie stored in a device/UA-session
containing a unique identifier then this not anonymous or "pseudonymous". In
fact it singles-out an individual far more exactly than their name. By
definition there is only one unique identifier whereas there can be several
individuals pointed to by the string "Shane Wiley".

If you apply a one-way hash function (or any unique one-to-one mapping) to a
UID you just get another unique identifier. Next time a user visits a page
you decode the cookie, apply the function, and match the resultant bit
pattern to the ones in records you already have. The hash operation serves
no useful purpose whatsoever. If the entropy, or number of bits, were
reduced by the function (it becomes a one-to-many mapping) then maybe, but
what would be the point?

All this underlines the importance that unlinkability (as well as
de-identification) be absolutely required to take collected/used data out of
scope.

Mike