Re: de-identification text for Wednesday's call

Shane,

So in your example "the data" was not deleted;  it was both modified (the hash) and redacted (the "removal" of the IP portion).  With as much confusion as we have on language why not be clear where we can?  I had hoped this would not be controversial and would add clarity.

The practical point is that if I have the following line in a log file:

58.218.199.250 - - [01/Apr/2013:02:23:22] "GET /sports/braves/index.html"  401 1255 "-" "Mozzila/4.0" "guid=abcdef1234567"

Under your example we could de-identify it by rendering it as:

 - - - [01/Apr/2013:02:23:22] "GET /sports/braves/index.html"  401 1255 "-" "Mozila/4.0" "guid=HASH{abcdef1234567}"

Just for purpose of clarity the remaining data set hasn't been "deleted", most of it is still there, it has been redacted and modified.
Again, I am not trying to be tricky here. I am just trying to make it more sensible.

-Brooks

--

Brooks Dobbs, CIPP | Chief Privacy Officer | KBM Group | Part of the Wunderman Network
(Tel) 678 580 2683 | (Mob) 678 492 1662 | kbmg.com

[cid:E492A379-E9C0-4CBF-B5D2-892B667AC18A]

This email – including attachments – may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient,
 do not copy, distribute or act on it. Instead, notify the sender immediately and delete the message.