Re: Data append?

Thanks Shane.  Some comments and questions below.

From:  Shane Wiley <wileys@yahoo-inc.com>
Date:  Sunday, March 31, 2013 11:26 PM
To:  John Simpson <john@consumerwatchdog.org>, "public-tracking@w3.org
(public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>
Subject:  RE: Data append?

> John and Alan,
>
> Thank you for taking the first pass at normative text for ³data append²
> exercises from the 1st party perspective and how these interrelate to DNT.
>
> A few comments:
>
> -- A 1st Party MUST NOT combine or otherwise use identifiable data received
> from another party with data it has collected while a 1st Party.
>
> [I believe the DNT signal should be directed to the sender, not the recipient.

Can you help me understand what you mean by the above sentence?

>   In this case, I would expect the 3rd party to receive the signal and
> appropriate not convey information within the context of DNT.  This sentence
> should either be dropped or rewritten to focus on the sender (3rd party in
> this context).]
>
> -- A 1st Party MUST NOT share identifiable data with another party unless the
> data was provided voluntarily by the user and is necessary to complete a
> business transaction with the user.
>
> [DNT is transactional.  I could see this prohibition working if the data being
> passed occurred online in the context of the DNT signal being in the header
> but for purely offline data matches I hope we agree this could not work.  I
> would also struggle to understand a business case where a user has ³shared
> identifiable data involuntarily² ­ could you please give an example?]

If a 1st party has a truly offline data match, (e.g., they append info
obtained from a data broker to an email and use that information to send a
catalog via USPS) then I would tend to agree. However, if that information
is appended and used to customize content or advertising in a digital
environment, then I it stands to reason that such a use case should be
covered by DNT.