ACTION-256: Propose update on security/fraud regarding deception/ad fraud

From: David Wainberg <david@networkadvertising.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:10:00 -0400
To: "public-tracking@w3.org" <public-tracking@w3.org>
This is my proposed redrafting of the security exception language. The
idea is a) avoid using the term "fraud," which has a colloquial use in
the US ad industry, but may be confusing in the spec, and b) to
accurately scope out the permitted uses. Also, because we haven't
defined it, I'm trying to avoid using "tracking" in the definition,
hence the "collect and use data in any way" language. I'm open to
alternatives.

Current proposal:

To the extent reasonably necessary for protection of computers and networks and to detect ad or other fraud, third parties may engage in tracking. Use of graduated response is preferred.

Proposed alternative:

Parties may collect and use data in any way to the extent reasonably
necessary for the detection and prevention of malicious or illegitimate
activity.