Re: tracking-ISSUE-167 (mikeo): Multiple site exceptions [Tracking Preference Expression (DNT)]

From: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:53:41 +0200
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Cc: Mike O'Neill <michael.oneill@baycloud.com>, 'Nicholas Doty' <npdoty@w3.org>
Mike,

I see what you want to accomplish. But can't you do that by normally
requesting an exception for one entity and declaring all the others
in "same-party". Can you verify whether the wording in the TPE-
specification would fit your use case? In this case, the first site
the user hits would ask for an exception and all the others are in
the "same-party" field anyway. So if the browser hits bar.org it
gets an exception. If the browser now hits foo.org it reads "same-
party" in the WKL and finds that foo.org and bar.org are the same-
party, thus the exception applies. I recognize that there are
security issues here as someone can just claim to be the same-party
as a well known site.

Nick, I think Mike is trying to accomplish a cookie-consent for one
entity over many sites. And in the EU context, the first party -
third party distinction doesn't really play that same role. So the
goal here is to disturb the user only once for a large array of
sites belonging to the same legal entity, regardless of whether
those are first or third parties. But I may be wrong.

Rigo