W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-tracking@w3.org > September 2012

Agenda for 26 September 2012 call

From: Aleecia M. McDonald <aleecia@aleecia.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 10:38:35 -0700
Message-Id: <397EEBE2-AD70-42BB-BBAD-0A38D28A40C7@aleecia.com>
To: "public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>
Chair:		Aleecia
Main topic:	Picking up where we left off on permitted uses, and circling back to discuss new texts from prior action items on permitted uses

Reminder: 	This call occurs during the Jewish holidays. We may have a smaller set of participants than normal. For those who cannot make the call, please review the f2f agenda and participant preparations if you are attending in Amsterdam, giving yourself enough time to read and prepare. Thank you!

---------------------------
Administrative
---------------------------

1. 	Selection of scribe

---------------------------
Old business
---------------------------

2.  	Review of overdue action items:  http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/actions/overdue?sort=owner
	(Currently Alan Chapell, Amy Colando, Matthias Schunter, David Wainberg, Heather West, and Shane Wiley. Please take a look!)

	David Wainberg, in particular, note moving action-246 from pending review back to open, see below.

3.	Quick check that callers are identified

4.     Discussion on the following quick summary of where we are on issues we've been talking about for the past month, some of which we will take up on this call:
          - Issue-45, Companies making public commitments with a "regulatory hook" for US legal purposes
		STATUS: waiting on an open action. We will have three proposed resolutions. 
                    * "In order to be in compliance with this specification, a third party must make a public commitment that it complies with this standard. A "public commitment" may consist of a statement in a privacy policy, a response header, a machine-readable tracking status resource at a well-known location, or any other reasonable means." 
                  * Initial text from David Wainberg, action-246 of a general nature. Still waiting for a concrete text proposal of exactly what he has in mind.
	-->	     With no further progress since 12 Sept, I have moved this from pending review to open, and given two weeks to revise the text into a specific proposal in standards language. (Ordinarily would be one week deadline but f2f conflicts.) 
                  * Silence

          - Issue-49, Third party as first party 
		STATUS: Pending review text from Shane, action-161, see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2012Sep/0154.html
	-->	- Once texts are complete, we compare them side-by-side. This happens next as (g) in new business.
 		- We acknowledged on the Aug 1 call that these proposals are likely to go through the decision process with a call for objections. We need alternatives we can adopt into the document.

          - Action-208 on issue-148
		STATUS: Agreed; waiting for Heather to add to Compliance document (action-251) and then we close action-208, action-250, action-251, and issue-148.
	-->	Heather, can you update us, please?
		We resolve to add normative text of: "When a user sends the DNT:0 signal, they are expressing a preference for a personalized experience. This signal indicates explicit consent for data collection, retention, processing, disclosure, and use by the recipient of this signal to provide a personalized experience for the  user. This recommendation places no restrictions on data collected from requests received with DNT:0."
		Plus additional non-normative text of: "This protocol does not define what constitutes explicit consent in any jurisdiction; check with your lawyer."

	- Specify "absolutely not tracking" (ISSUE-119)
		We ended with a general sense that "not tracking" is the wrong way to phrase this, and that we will want some non-normative text explaining this is not expected to have wide adoption. Three general directions came out of the discussion, which ended for lack of time:
		We have the original text, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2012Feb/0403.html, which no one stepped forward to update.
		Action-252, Nick to reframe via permitted uses, completed here: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2012Sep/0115.html
			Responses to Nick's text from David Singer (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2012Sep/0118.html) Roy (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2012Sep/0144.html) and Aleecia (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2012Sep/0163.html) that we have not worked through.
		Action-253, David Wainberg prefers dropping this all together, including the flag in the TPE, and wrote his proposal: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2012Sep/0137.html   Discussion ensued (see the full thread, http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/actions/253) with an important point that "unset" does not mean the same thing in the US as it does in the EU. 
	-->	Next step: talking this through as a group so we have acceptable alternatives. 

---------------------------
New business
---------------------------

5.	New business

	(a) Reminders for the Amsterdam f2f

	(b) Editors' working drafts

	(c) Issue-25, Possible exemption for research purposes
        In Seattle, this dropped from our list of permitted uses. Research can, of course, always be done with consent. 
        PROPOSAL: we close this issue as outdated.

	(d) Debugging. On the Sept 12 call, we ended after reading the text proposal for debugging from the summary from Nick on Permitted Uses (action-235, available from http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2012Sep/0141.html)  We will discuss this for the first time, and see what actions are next.

	(e) General permitted uses requirements. On the Sept 12 call, we did not get time to review the General Requirements in action-235. We will discuss those for the first time, plus global issues around permitted uses.

	(f) Log files. On the Sept 12 call, we reached two approaches for log files (issue-134). Look for email from me setting those texts side-by-side later today. On the call we will review to make sure the texts capture the conversation, then enter a short period of review before starting the decision process with a formal poll for objections. 

	[Note that financial reporting & auditing is on the f2f schedule for much more discussion in person. Frequency capping awaits action-254. Security & fraud awaits action-256. Those risk being closed for lack of activity.]

	(g) Review of texts for  Issue-49, Third party as first party, with action-161, see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2012Sep/0154.html

	(h) Review of texts for Issue-119, "absolutely not tracking," with Action-252, Nick to reframe via permitted uses, completed here: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2012Sep/0115.html and action-253, David Wainberg prefers dropping this all together, including the flag in the TPE, and wrote his proposal: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2012Sep/0137.html  

---------------------------

6. 	Announce next meeting & adjourn

================ Infrastructure =================

Zakim teleconference bridge:
VoIP:    sip:zakim@voip.w3.org
Phone +1.617.761.6200 passcode TRACK (87225)
IRC Chat: irc.w3.org, port 6665, #dnt

*****
Received on Tuesday, 25 September 2012 17:39:03 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Friday, 21 June 2013 10:11:34 UTC