Re: ACTION-255: Work on financial reporting text as alternative to legal requirements

Hi Alan,

Thanks for sharing this text (and sorry we didn't get a chance to talk about it earlier during drafting).

As I understood the discussion from the call on the 12th, the goal here was to find a proposal that would allow retention related to proof of billing for contracts without letting contracts override any requirements the spec has for compliance. My proposal (based on past discussions within the group) was to rely on the requirements of financial reporting laws rather than going into specific details in this specification about particular billing terms.

A couple of questions on reading the below:

Would this proposal prohibit retention and use of user browsing data for behavioral targeting of online ads? If I sign a contract that I will only show a particular ad to users who previously visited a certain set of web pages, would I then be permitted regardless of DNT signal to retain and use any information from requests in order to verify that an ad is only shown to such visitors? Or to bill differently for visitors who had visited certain sites in the past?

Similarly, your final example is a case of remarketing or retargeting -- as I understand it, you're suggesting that ad networks must continue to retain data of who saw which ad where so that they can confirm that a certain ad is only shown to visitors who had previously seen a particular ad on a particular site. I was under the impression that the group had certainly agreed that alteration of future requests based on past requests on other sites would generally be prohibited.

I'm also curious about the "subsequent action or conversion" purpose and corresponding post-impression conversion example. Does retention of data about a request and correlation of that data with other requests on other sites qualify as data to confirm that a "request met various criteria set forth by the contract"? I would generally be afraid that it would be hard to explain to users that their browsing activity was being tracked under DNT:1 because certain contracts granted different financial terms based on past or future online activity.

I would like to hope that our permitted use text can avoid a detailed list of which contractual practices are allowed and which are prohibited, but it may be helpful to determine whether the group has a common understanding there. I could certainly understand a concern that this form of proposal would allow any contractual relationship to override a user's expressed preference, which I don't believe to be our common intent.

Thanks,
Nick