ISSUE-49 and ISSUE-137 are related

From: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 17:54:25 +0200
To: public-tracking <public-tracking@w3.org>
Hi all,

IMHO, ISSUE-49 and ISSUE-137 are strongly related. I suggest to
merge them.

As far as I understood, we have first parties, third parties and
outsourcing/service provider. I vaguely remember that we agreed
already multiple times that the definition of outsourcing/service
provider follows in essence the paradigm of the EU data processor
and thus the outsourcing/ service provider (OSP) has no independent
right to process data.

This means for the user, that the party using that OSP is the data
collector and the data controller. In this case all OSP in whatever
way would have to set the "S" flag and not the "1" flag. This is
nice for statistical reporting, but has no material consequence on
privacy risks or privacy enhancing considerations. I see no material
advantage for the user, but a lot of very nice projects for
researchers. I do not believe in Roy's fear that the browser will
discriminate against "S" because "S" must be labeled everything not
materially coming from the same legal entity. Even Akamai would have
to label "S".