Re: ACTION-253 ISSUE: 119 and ACTION 208 ISSUE-148 Response signal for "not tracking" and definition for DNT:0

From: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 21:36:14 +0200
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Cc: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
On Monday 17 September 2012 09:43:19 Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> Nevertheless, the fact remains that user agents don't implement a
> global DNT:0 setting (with or without a mandate), which means
> sites that need a consent mechanism will have to interrupt the
> user or plaster the walls with consent banners.  That's
> unfortunate.

Roy, I still have trouble understanding that. Does that mean a user
can't configure her browser so that it sends DNT:0 to europa.eu? Or
that europa.eu can't ask for that exception? Or that the browser
will not be able to send DNT:0?

Can you or someone else better understanding the decision explain
that further to me? Perhaps even better per phone than on the
mailing-list.