Re: ACTION-253 ISSUE: 119 and ACTION 208 ISSUE-148 Response signal for "not tracking" and definition for DNT:0

On 9/13/12 8:02 PM, David Singer wrote:

> On Sep 13, 2012, at 16:42 , David Wainberg
> <david@networkadvertising.org <mailto:david@networkadvertising.org>>
> wrote:
>>
>> These is where I get confused. Are we talking about data collection
>> or use? Do you mean those sites would say they collect no data
>> whatsoever? Or would they be saying they may collect /some/ data but
>> do not engage in the permitted uses?
>>

> ah, OK.  I am guessing that it would have to be mostly about
> collection, sure.  Otherwise, as you say, if they collect a lot of
> data which could be worked into tracking data, then we're into
> permitted uses.
>
> In most protocols, 'not implementing' is usually a sign of something
> not being relevant.  The problem is, in this case, it's impossible to
> tell the difference between an 'innocuous' site and a site that does,
> in fact, engage in tracking, but hasn't yet implemented the protocol.
>  Honestly, having high schools add even a simple well-known-resource
> or/and a server config so that they statically serve a header is more
> than one would normally ask, but I can't think of any other way right
> now for these 'simple' sites that don't bother even to accumulate the
> data that might be worked into tracking data, to say so.
>
> Having said all that, we probably have bigger fish to fry.

Not to harp on this; I agree about the fish and the size thereof, but I
get really confused on this. It feels like we shift back and forth
depending on context. Is data a /result/ of tracking, or is it that the
data can become tracking data when processed or used in certain ways?

To your point about distinguishing sites, I'm not sure high schools
could say whether they accumulate the data that might be worked into
tracking data, since we have not specified what data that is. The best
they could do is state, along the lines of Nick's suggestion, that they
claim no permitted uses.