Re: ISSUE-45 ACTION-246: draft proposal regarding making a public compliance commitment

From: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 22:51:29 +0200
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Cc: Shane Wiley <wileys@yahoo-inc.com>, John Simpson <john@consumerwatchdog.org>, Justin Brookman <justin@cdt.org>
On Wednesday 05 September 2012 13:01:47 Shane Wiley wrote:
> there are already significant issues developing and the C&S
> document isn't addressing EU concerns directly.

Shane, if you want to convey compliance to EU regulations, P3P is a
better option (it has explicit semantics about that). I think that
DNT is an ack of a user preference that is well defined. This user
preference may also get some traction in the EU market (hopefully)
and serves a certain purpose there (usable consent mechanism). But I
don't think it should convey EU data protection regulation
compliance. I think the latter would be a good topic for the DNT-NG
Workshop.