From: Justin Brookman [mailto:justin@cdt.org]
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 9:30 AM
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: Re: ISSUE-45 ACTION-246: draft proposal regarding making a public compliance commitment

There has obviously been an undercurrent for a while that some folks would like the spec to just define the syntax of DNT in the TPE spec and to be completely silent as to what it means.  I remain opposed to that approach for the reasons previously stated and reiterated here.

Of course this fractures DNT.  If I go to a publisher, and 10 third parties respond ackNAI, 10 respond ackIAB, 10 respond ackW3C, 10 respond ackUS, and 10 respond ackFU, that means those parties are doing potentially very different things in response to the DNT:1 header which completely frustrates the purpose of standardization.  Users cannot reasonably be expected to keep track of the varying regulatory and self-regulatory models and evaluate them.  I'm not sure how user agents will respond to this panoply of response headers, but it is conceivable that they will be configurable to only allow content that ack in certain ways, or that add-ons will be available to do that for them.  I think the balkanization of DNT would push us down the TPL/ad block road, which from my point of view is a bad result --- I would prefer to see the ecosystem define DNT:1 in a consistent way, and respond to those headers by either serving non-tracking ads and content, or requesting the user to grant an exception (or turn off DNT entirely if the prompts get too annoying).

Again, the value add here is the standardization of what the header means.  The header is out there today --- any company can publicly state that they follow NAI's opt out rules in response to the header if they want to.  If the end result of this process is that the meaning of the header is outsourced to whoever wants to define it, then we have not solved the problem this group was tasked to address.

Justin Brookman

Director, Consumer Privacy

Center for Democracy & Technology

1634 I Street NW, Suite 1100