Re: Proposed Text for Local Law and Public Purpose

I understand. The "problem" from my perspective is how best to facilitate consumer choice in the collection and use of passively emitted signals in web interactions.

There are some examples of deeper concerns I can offer, such as a reluctance of users to be profiled, the desire for individuals to have a "safe space" free of surveillance (necessary for innovative, creative and free thought in a democracy... this is from my perspective as a USA'n) and users gaining a better understanding of the implicit bargains they enter into during web interactions (which is why I'm a big fan of rich exception interactions but also meaningful transparency for users (more applicable to the NTIA MSH process)).

I didn't mean to dig unnecessarily deep into business practices, but after a recent phone call with Chris, I was blown away by the care and precision implied by the MRC audit process and had been completely ignorant of that mechanism and what the inputs and outputs needed there.

best, Joe

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Senior Staff Technologist