Re: Proposed Text for Local Law and Public Purpose

On Friday 26 October 2012 15:25:21 David Wainberg wrote:
> Another piece is the need to allow for existing contracts. To the
> extent  that this DNT standard affects the nature of contractual
> measurement, reporting, and auditing requirements in the future,
> there is a need to provide an exception for existing contracts.

David, reporting/auditin is done in the "financial reporting"
permitted use. I still think that financial reporting is a bit
underspecified.

The question of contracts is not easy. OBA happens because there are
contracts. Those contracts describe a certain expected behavior.
Having an exception for contracts would include those installing
OBA. The entire reason for DNT would vanish in one exception and we
could only hope that people wouldn't use that loophole. After 12
years in privacy, I don't believe that the loophole will remain
unused. If one uses the loophole, a race to the bottom will be
created. No level playing field anymore. That's why we have to be
careful IMHO.

Rigo