RE: Proposed Text for Local Law and Public Purpose

Hi Jeffrey,

Exploring the links you posted shows a number of patents in this area, namely:
6108637 Content display monitor
6115680 Computer use meter and analyzer
6327619 Metering of internet content using a control
6418470 Metering of internet content using a control
7386473 Content display monitoring by a processing system
7613635 Content display monitor
7716326 Content display monitor
7756974 Content display monitor

Just looking at the 6108637 series patent: it looks very broad and seems to
claim the sending of monitoring instructions with the advertisement that examines
if the ad was visible and for how long and then reports this back to a server.

I expect this is only a fraction of the patent claims in this area.

It may be problematic for an open standard to sanction collection methods
claimed to be controlled via patents.  Perhaps this would be a good reason to
specifically exclude any Digital GRPs that involve sending monitoring instructions
and reporting in any way back to a server!

Please also try to get a response tracking status flag added to indicate that a
script implements monitoring instructions so that UAs have the option of blocking
them.

cheers
Fred