Re: Proposed Text for Local Law and Public Purpose

Chris,

I've always understood that the list is place to discuss issues and ask clarifying questions.  It saves time on calls and generally has been very helpful and productive. I asked my questions, "Exactly what data in what form would need to be collected to meet MRC requirements when DNT is enabled? How would that differ from the data that would be collected when DNT is not enabled?" in that clarifying spirit.  I am not debating, not arguing, not building a record. I simply am seeking to understand the proposal that's on the table as an open issue.

Perhaps I am unduly dull witted and dense. For that I apologize to the entire Working Group. Nonetheless, I suspect there is at least one or two others who would appreciate understanding the proposal.  Why won't you simply explain, "Exactly what data in what form would need to be collected to meet MRC requirements when DNT is enabled? How would that differ from the data that would be collected when DNT is not enabled?"

To your first point, I see you did respond to Ed Felton and I appreciate that. However, I think he was also simply seeking clarification. While you responded, you didn't answer his question.  He said that Jonathan's view was that the MRC documents do not require companies to collect linkable data about every consumer.

He than asked, "Do you disagree with that?" and   "Do you have a citation in the documents to the contrary?"

Your response was, "Jonathan's argument is not valid here (we have coved that twice), nor is he a domain expert.  I have presented the evidence to this forum and I am attesting to it in my capacity as an industry expert in this domain— what else would you like?"

The clarifying question is, "Do you believe that the MRC documents require companies to collect linkable data about every consumer?"  That seems simple enough, the answer is either yes or no.  Then the second point, if yes, where is that in the documents?

I am not arguing with you or anyone else. I am simply trying to understand.

Thanks,
John

John M. Simpson
Consumer Advocate