Re: Adage article

Hi Lauren -

FYI - It is not uncommon for members of this working group to post articles
that speak to this group's work. For example, John Simpson recently posted
an article about Apache Software's reaction to MSFT's implementation of
IE10. I trust you sent a similar note to John, correct?  (:

But to better address your question ­ why did I post this article? I thought
it was interesting that someone else recognizes that DNT may carry
anti-competitive concerns. In Amsterdam, there was a significant issue
raised --­ one that seemed to indicate that it would be ok for First Parties
to take their own data and use it for ad targeting across the internet. This
seemed like a significant expansion of what I would characterize as First
Party immunity to DNT. I was struck by the number of people in the room who
seemed to think this is a good thing.

If you or others think this is a good outcome ­ fair enough. But I think its
also fair for me to ask if whether all of implications have been considered.
When we look back five years from now on what will be considered a watershed
moment, members of this working group will have their names association with
these decisionsŠ Forgive me if you believed this was the deal that was
struck all along. I admit, while not entirely comfortable with some of the
First Party exceptions in this spec, I didn't think of them potentially as
absolute ­ until Amsterdam.

I hope that answers your question.

Alan