Re: ACTION-295: Should v. Must

David,

I've been watching this discussion from afar because I believe that the RFC2119 definitions are about as clear as can be. But I think I've got a new insight into the issue and want share it . You seem to most worried about the possibility of a company deciding not to follow the spec because it's only a SHOULD and then having that come back to bite them.

Put another way, you seem to be of the mind set that companies will look to ignore the standard as much as they can and SHOULD provides a means to do that.

Instead, I'd suggest that good actors will be looking for ways to comply with the spec rather than evade it and will have no problem doing what SHOULD be done.

In the newspaper business there was an old editors rule: "When in doubt, take it out."  I'd suggest a similar approach here. Companies ought to err on the side of caution: When in doubt about what's required, take the most privacy friendly approach.

That will win consumers' trust and be good for business in the long run.

If on the other hand, a company wants to push the envelope and constantly seek ways to game the spec claiming it only says we SHOULD do something not that we MUST, well, it deserves what it gets when it plays fast and loose what it SHOULD do.

Cheers,
John

John M. Simpson
Consumer Advocate