RE: "forced choice" user agent implementation of DNT

From: SULLIVAN, BRYAN L <bs3131@att.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 22:01:00 +0000
To: Dan Auerbach <dan@eff.org>, "public-tracking@w3.org" <public-tracking@w3.org>

| I want to by crystal clear that this commitment to user choice is the view of everyone in this working group, and that there are no objections to forced choice | user agent implementations of DNT, modulo arguments about the text.

Note that "user agent" means any HTTP-enabled application on a device (including native apps which embed Web content via Webview APIs), not just browsers. Are you implying that every HTTP-enabled application will thus be forced to include a modal dialog in which the user will either need to make a DNT preference selection, or abandon the installation/use of the HTTP-enabled application? Put in this more crystal clear way, I would expect that there will be objections to such a mandate.

Thanks,
Bryan Sullivan