RE: Third-Party Web Tracking: Policy and Technology Paper outlining harms of tracking

Place brugmann

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
From: Kimon Zorbas
Sent: 10/14/2012 10:56 AM
To: Rigo Wenning; public-tracking@w3.org; Alan Chapell
Cc: Shane Wiley (yahoo); Vincent Toubiana; Jeffrey Chester; Jonathan Mayer
Subject: Re: Third-Party Web Tracking: Policy and Technology Paper outlining     harms of tracking

Dear all,

I think we should look a bit less emotional on all issues and more with common sense (including business sense):

- Harm is difficult to prove and the fact we all sit around the table demonstrates the willingness to address some of this difficult to quantify / assess harm (if any). Harm in sense of reducing the window to the world disregards the independence of the human spirit and over-exaggerates the importance of online ads. It's still content people look for in the internet and we still move outside our home, workplace, etc., speak to real people off screen etc. to form and shape our views and decisions. Our horizon is larger than the internet. Let's be as concrete as possible on harm - which brings me to the next point.

- Law enforcement is neither a real issue to date nor a fair point: we all have to abide by law. Trying to fix that problem by deleting all data of the world would be effective to that end (and welcomed by bad guys) but not realistic. I also seriously question whether OBA profiles are ever good enough data. As long as I don't see many law enforcement requests for such data I think it less of an issue for the DNT discussions. We have to comply with the law - we don't like that, we vote accordingly at the next elections, not in W3C.

-Rigo, I would LOVE my members to charge 10 times more for OBA ads. But that number is totally unrealistic. Twice as much would be still good enough and only top performers can achieve this. Again, we have hardly large data on this, mostly confidential disclosure from business people, as it's a highly competitive market and players not keen disclosing figures.

Have a good weekend,
Kimon